and Neuroplastic Intervention
Cognitive Remediation can be a very personal journey into our minds and how they don't always support us in being our most authentic selves. Due to the potentially emotional nature of this work, we are flexible, compassionate and intentional with every step in your personalized healing process.
Are you tired of doctors saying there's nothing you can do? We were. Nobody wants or expects a Traumatic Brain Injury and they're, unfortunately, quite common. At Synsense, instead of just offering ways to compensate for new cognitive shortcomings, we found and practice ways of reconnecting, re-routing and strengthening neural connections. Nobody can promise full restoration, but we can promise progress with compassion.
Many children and adults face processing and attention deficit disorders. Some include: ADHD, dyslexia, dysgraphia, and auditory/visual processing disorders. These inefficient pathways can lead to low grades, frustration and an inability to perform at grade level. We help improve cognitive connections and strengthen pathways so that our clients can better express to the world who they are and what they are capable of - without medication.
Sometimes we develop or genetically inherit inefficient neural connections. These inefficient connections can make us less athletic, easily frustrated/over-emotional, increase anxiety, give us poor balance, make us easily overstimulated and decrease our bodily awareness. While symptoms can vary wildly and are extremely specific to your mind only, we will assess them and help you improve your neural efficiency so you can be your best you!
Typical Steps to cognitive Growth
1) Consultation: Semi-formal conversation where you state your concerns. Your Cognitive Remediation Specialist will ask you many questions related to your cognition and your lifestyle to determine which tests should be performed and assess if now is the optimal time for you to begin your remediation.
2) Testing: This step can take several hours, but can be broken into smaller test sessions if there’s a stamina concern. Testing isn’t like in school - there’s no way to pass or fail, we’re just finding where you are at the current moment and getting an idea of what kind of progress you could make. We welcome any tests from neuropsychologists and any relevant information from schools or work-related testing. Your Cognitive Remediation Specialist will test you based on what was expressed in the consultation.
3) Plan of Action: Once the results are in, your Cognitive Remediation Specialist will make suggested paths of remediation. These paths will be based on your specific cognitive needs, time available, financial resources and your overall well-being. You have a say in the overall structure of strategy. We want people to experience great cognitive leaps, and that starts with setting you up for success!
4) Weekly Sessions: These sessions are very specific to each mind, but typically can be between 1-4 times weekly for anywhere from 2-8 months. Your Cognitive Remediation Specialist will work with you one-on-one with targeted activities to improve your cognition.
5) Cognition Tracking: Your Cognitive Remediation Specialist will keep track of your progress and show you periodically just how far you’ve come. Should you ever have any concerns about your progress or foreseeable scheduling interference, alert your Cognitive Remediation Specialist so they can adjust your sessions.
5) Completion: Congratulations! You’ve made it to a place in your progress where you feel accomplished and more like yourself. You can get on with the rest of your life with less worry and more confidence. Should you feel inclined, we’d love your feedback when you’re done - we’re always striving to provide better services and experiences.